I need this stuff quite often. Every time i need to create a new virtual host in Ubuntu i have to google/search to find this solution as i cannot remember these paths properly. I am posting it here for quick reference for myself. Bookmark it for yourself (which i am going to do after i have finished posting it ;))
1. Enable virtual hosts by editing httpd.conf, if it is not enabled already. Once you enable it you can skip this step next time.
sudo gedit /opt/lampp/etc/httpd.conf
Find #Include etc/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf and remove the # to un-comment this line
2. Add new virtual host by opening the httpd-vhosts.conf file
sudo gedit /opt/lampp/etc/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
Usually, by default there are two virtual hosts in this file. You can edit one or create new one by copy-pasting one of them. The required entries are DocumentRoot andServerName
ServerAdmin your_email@domain_name.com DocumentRoot /opt/lampp/htdocs/mysite_folder ServerName mysite.local ServerAlias www.mysite.local ErrorLog logs/mysite.local-error_log CustomLog logs/mysite.local-access_log common
3. Next, you will need to tell Xampp server where to find the address you added above:
sudo gedit /etc/hosts
Add the following line:
4. Restart xampp server by doing
sudo /opt/lampp/lampp restart
5. Type http://local.mysite in browser’s address bar and it should work.